Most women experience some vaginal discharge before puberty and after menopause irrespective if they’re pregnant or not. If you’re searching all over the web about is white discharge is a sign of pregnancy or not, you are here at the right place. Let’s know about Is white discharge a sign of pregnancy or not?
Do you think Is white discharge a sign of pregnancy?
Vaginal discharge represents your health condition down there. However, how much discharge a woman is having can vary and it usually gets heavier just before the menstruation cycle starts. Vaginal discharges keeps the vagina healthy, especially the milky, white vaginal discharge is experienced by many women and most of the time it is normal.
There are several reasons behind the vaginal discharge and pregnancy is one of them. But the question is, is white discharge a sign of pregnancy or is it normal? To answer this question, we must first understand what vaginal discharge is and what are its causes.
What is vaginal discharge?
Vaginal discharge can cause a mess down there and you will surely find it difficult to get an appropriate answer to your question, is white discharge a sign of pregnancy or not? Understand that there are many different reasons behind vaginal discharge other than pregnancy. First you need to know what it actually is.
Vaginal discharge is the fluid that comes out of a vagina. It is a substance that is produced in the vagina in order to carry out the bacteria and dead cells. Vaginal discharge prevents infection and keeps it healthy. The colour and the odour of the discharge vary from woman to woman. It also depends on the menstrual cycle. A woman mostly experiences the discharge when she is sexually active, aroused, stressed, pregnant or ovulating. The discharges are either healthy or unhealthy.
Read More:– How to get pregnant with PCOS quickly
Healthy vaginal discharge is usually of thin consistency, clear or milky white with an inoffensive odour.
Unhealthy discharge can:
· contain bad odour
· be of green or yellow colour
· be lumpy
· causes itchiness around the vagina
· cause pain during urination
In case of an unhealthy discharge, a woman should consult a doctor since there can be a chance of an infection.
What are the causes of vaginal discharge?
The causes of vaginal discharge can be stress, ovulation, sexual arousal, pregnancy or an infection. If the discharge has a bad or offensive smell and colour, it could be an infection.
Vaginal discharge during the period of pregnancy:
In the early stages of pregnancy, a woman might experience a slight increase in vaginal discharge. When the pregnancy period starts, the body produces more discharge and increases the blood flow to the uterus and vagina. It also helps in preventing external infections when the fetus travels up from the vagina to the uterus. Healthy vaginal discharge during pregnancy is known as leukorrhea. It is thin in consistency, clear or milky white, and accompanies a mild smell or no smell.
As pregnancy continues, a woman will continue to experience increased discharge until the delivery. Just before a week of delivery, the vaginal discharge may contain streaks of thick mucus and some blood also, called “show.” This is an early sign of labour. This happens because your body is getting prepared for childbirth.
Tips on dealing with vaginal discharge during pregnancy:
· Take bath on a regular basis and wear breathable cotton made underpants. Maintaining proper hygiene is the best tip to deal with vaginal discharge during pregnancy. If you keep your vagina clean and dry, bacteria will stay in balance and as a result you won’t have to suffer through any vaginal infections.
· Another essential tip is, you should wear pads or panty liners in case of excessive discharge. Pads can absorb the discharge and may help you feel more comfortable. Avoid tampons, since they can cause germs into your vagina.
· Avoid douching, since it is not safe during pregnancy. Douches can also upset the natural balance of bacteria into your vagina and can cause bacterial vaginosis.
· Avoid wipes. Vagina cleanses itself and if you use wipes, the pH value in your genital tract can change that can lead to risk of infection. Or you can go with the wipes that are pH-safe and free of alcohol and other harmful chemicals.
When should you consult a practitioner about vaginal discharge during pregnancy?
Call your doctor if:
· Your discharge is yellow or green in colour
· Your discharge is thick and cheesy
· Your vagina has a foul or offensive odour
· You feel itching/ burning sensation around your vagina
· You feel pain during urination
· Sex is painful
In the above cases there may be chances of infection like pregnancy-induced yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis. These infections are curable and caused due to a change in the balance of yeast and bacteria into the vagina. The treatment of such infections involves antifungal medication or antibiotics. This helps in restoring and maintaining the proper balance in the vagina.
Once you consult your doctor and if he/ she says that the discharge is abnormal/ unhealthy, there may be a sign of sexually transmitted diseases such as chlamydia, gonorrhea or trichomoniasis. Such diseases require rapid diagnosis and treatment of yours and your partner as well.
Most of the time, the vaginal discharge during pregnancy is perfectly normal and protects you and your baby. Hope you successfully got all your answers and information about, is white discharge a sign of pregnancy or not.